Journaling is a great way to increase creativity and to get focused. It’s also a great way to start and end your day. I like to keep a list of journal prompt ideas for the times I just don’t quite know what to write about. Below are twenty of my favorites. Feel free to add your favorite journal prompts in the comments!
1. A list of things you’re grateful for
2. Reasons why you’re proud of yourself
3. Something you’re afraid to try but still want to
4. A stranger that made you think differently
5. Something you want to change your perspective on
6. A dream you had
7. What do you wish you could do every day?
8. A new self-care routine you want to try
9. What makes you excited?
10. How can you help someone this week?
11. A wish you’re glad never came true
12. What relaxes you?
13. A book you’d like to read
14. What do you hope to see in your lifetime?
15. What time period do you wish you could visit?
16. A small (or big) way you hope to change the world
17. How do you feel right now?
18. A recap of your day
19. Your favorite memory
20. A lesson you learned the hard way
Now that I’ve share some of my favorite journal prompts, it’s important to me to point out that I don’t think journaling should be a forced activity. These prompts are for when you know you want to write or journal, but just feel stuck and free writing isn’t working. It’s okay to set a goal of daily journaling for example, but don’t make yourself do it if you’re just not in the right headspace for it. Do it when it feels right and helpful.